Camp Will Look Different This Summer….
After much thoughtful consideration, and given the uncertainty of current conditions, we have come to the difficult decision that we will need to postpone the opening of Resident Camp this summer, and cancel our Day Camp program. The health and well-being of our camp community continue to be our highest priority.
We are monitoring guidance from the CDC, the American Camp Association, the state of Michigan and, guidance from health officials to shape our summer 2020 program. We also realize there is still a chance that camp may not be able to operate this summer, under under state restrictions.
We know families need camp more than ever, which is why we are committed to reshaping our summer program to address COVID-19, while allowing us to provide our mission of service to children and families.
What Camp Is Doing:
- Cancelling all public community events at camp until August 2nd, and issuing full refunds for any guests registered for those events
- Requiring all campers and staff to complete a COVID-19 test as part of the pre-camp and arrival day health screening procedures. Camp will assist families with the logistics of this process
- Following guidelines as published by the Center for Disease Control and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, monitoring the situation, and communicating with families and guests
- Cancelling all May/June programs and have postponed our three June Mom and Me weekends until August.
- Delaying the start of camp by cancelling Session 1 & Session 2 of Resident camp. Campers registered for those sessions can move their reservations, receive full refunds, or transfer their reservations to Summer 2021.
- Cancelling our Day Camp Programs, because daily COVID-19 testing would not be possible.
- Not allowing any visitors on site. This will include new contact-free camper check in days, and a virtual closing ceremony for families.
- Requiring all seasonal staff to quarantine on site for the duration of the summer, including during time off.
- Decreasing group sizes, by restructuring the camp schedule and program. Cabin/Unit groups will be static, and campers will not mingle between groups. Each group will have separate eating, recreation, and restroom schedules. Social distancing plans will be put into place through camp procedures, games, and songs.
- Cancelling any off-site programming, including: camping trips, horseback riding, and holdover trips. Units will still participate in overnight camping trips, onsite, using one person tents or personal hammocks.
- Adding daily temperature checks, and daily health screenings for all campers and staff.
- Keeping staff and campers assigned to the same living space for the duration of the summer.
- Increasing our sanitization protocols, with our trained housekeeping staff. Program spaces and equipment will be sanitized between each use.
- Finalizing an Emergency Action Plan if a COVID-19 case is suspected or confirmed at camp. Procedures include immediate isolation, testing, and parent communication.
- Creating a camp program that is fun and meaningful for our campers and staff.
We will monitor this rapidly evolving situation and, as we move forward with summer planning, know that we’ll be abundantly transparent on our decisions.
Again, nothing is more important to us than the safety of our campers, guests, and staff. We thank you for your trust and support.
Summer Program Cancellation Policy
We want to provide extra assurance and flexibility to our camp families during this unprecedented time. That’s why we offer a peace-of-mind enrollment policy which ensures a fair and flexible experience for everyone involved.
Transfer to Summer 2021: Our families have the option to cancel any reservation at least two weeks (14 days) before its start date and receive a 100% credit for payments that have already been made. This credit can be used towards another camp week(s) in summer 2021. Campers that transfer their credit to summer 2021 will lock in Summer 2020 camper pricing.
Cancellation for a Full Refund: Families can cancel a reservation at least one month (30 days) before a program start date for a full refund, including the deposit.
We are confident that our cancellation policies above will provide the flexibility to help ensure a great experience for all of our camp families and stability for our employees during this difficult time.
As you can imagine, it will take all of us, campers, alumni, donors, and friends to make this trying situation a success. If you would like to do something to make a difference in this difficult time. please consider a donation to support our effort to replace the lost income because of COVID-19 and to ensure camp future.