As camp approaches, it is normal for kids to feel anxious about the experience.
When registering, kids are excited about summer – but as weather starts to get warmer, the worries start.
Will I make friends? Will I miss my family? What if I forget something at home and everything about camp stinks?!?!?!
These fears and anxieties are perfectly normal. It’s our job as camp leaders to make your whole family feel at ease about the camp experience.
So, here are some actions you can take to help those feet stay toasty warm.
1. Come to the Camp Open House
On April 22, 2018 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm. You get to tour camp, meet counselors and staff, talk to the chef, see where you will be sleeping, and get a free song book. Best of all, tours are led by fellow campers in our Youth Advisory Council – so your camper can meet a new friend right away.
2. Watch this Pre-Camp Video, The Secret Ingredients of Summer Camp Success, How to have the most fun with the least Homesickness by Dr. Chris Thurber. Dr. Chris is a child phycologist, camp expert, and good friend of Camp Newaygo. This video has been able to reduce homesickness by 50% when families have used it prior to camp.
3. Email Us to set up a Camp Pen Pal before summer. We connect your camper with another camper who is going to be in the same bunk (or same Day Camp Session). The campers write emails, or snail mail, back and forth before camp – giving your child a ready-made friend prior to summer.
4. Read our blog Homesick and Happy which covers how we handle missing home at camp. We offer prevention strategies for your family, and explain what the process is if these feelings arise at camp.
5. Save the Date – Monday April 16th, 2018 for a facebook live with the Camp Newaygo Directors – Jalisa and Kori. Submit questions before, or during as we give tips and tricks for camp.
We are SO excited for summer. Please connect with us anytime with questions, concerns, or just to chat: